How to Find Christian Freelance Writing Jobs
Christian freelance writing jobs represent a significant
hidden job market.
Thousands of churches, faith-based organizations, websites,
and periodicals need regular content and promotional materials. The Christian
niche represents a significant market. Freelancers with solid writing skills, a
sound knowledge of scripture, and an understanding of biblical principles are
very attractive to ministries.
Why do organizations hire freelancers?
Need. Every business and organization needs good writing. Many ministries and churches have small
staffs. Leaders wear many hats and do not have time to produce quality
promotions and content. A good writer provides a needed service.
Savings. By hiring freelancers, organizations can pay per
project and can avoid adding an additional staff salary to the payroll.
Accessibility. Many clients don’t know how to go about
finding a freelancer. When you let them know you are available, you give them
the chance to hire you.
What kinds of Christian freelance writing jobs are out
Freelance work includes all kinds of writing projects,
including articles, appeal letters, blog posts, brochures, devotionals, direct
mail packages, email campaigns, e-zines, grant proposals, lessons, ministry
presentations, newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, social media posts,
strategic plans, stories, study materials, and web content – to name a few.
Organizations are also eager to hire out editing work.
How should you go about finding Christian freelance writing
Create personal promotional materials
- Put together basic promotional tools that highlight your
skills and abilities, including a portfolio of your work (samples of different kinds
of pieces you’ve written).
- Build a personal website.
- Launch social media sites that speak to Christian ministry
- Tell potential clients you are available. Identify those
that fit your niche and send them a personalized solicitation letter or email explaining
why they may want to hire you.
- Offer potential clients a freebie for responding.
- When potential clients request your freebie, follow up.
- Bid for freelance jobs on paying websites such as ELance.
- Check freelance job sites daily for new opportunities
- Identify blogs, websites, and social media sites in ministry
niches that interest you. Follow them and comment as frequently as possible,
linking back to your website wherever appropriate.
- Post frequently on Facebook.
- Comment on ministry Facebook pages. Include helpful links
back to your site.
- Post frequently on Twitter.
- Retweet helpful content to your followers.
- Find devotional sites in need of material. Query the editor
to write a series.
- Submit articles to ministry sites, obtaining a back link to
Become a publisher
- Add to your personal website regularly, providing
interesting content for your target niche that they will find helpful.
- Publish an online newsletter. Offer a freebie opt-in on your
website. By publishing regularly you’ll stay in front of potential clients with
helpful content and information. When they have a project, they will then be
more likely to call you.
- Start and maintain your own freelance writing blog. Adding
regular content to your website raises your site on search engine results.
Produce quality work
- Work hard on every project – paid or unpaid – and build a
reputation of excellence.
- Be reliable. Finish a project on time or early.
Good copywriters are hard to find. Good Christian
copywriters are even rarer. Offer quality writing and reliable service and you
will have more work than you can handle.
More on Christian writing
Christian Writing Resources for content creators, freelancers, bloggers ...
Kinds of freelance writing projects you can be paid to write ...
Freelance Writing Jobs for Beginners: Getting Started ...
3 Tips in Getting Freelance Writing Assignments ...
Selling Your Services: 6 Writing Tips for Starting Out as a Freelancer ...
Copywriting as a job ...
What makes for good Christian writing?
What Can a Sci-Fi Writer Teach Me about the Christian Market?
Freelance Writing FAQs ...
8 Books for Freelance Writers ...
Tips for citing the Bible in articles, blogs, devotionals, more ...
Understanding Bible translations: an overview for writers ...
Newbie copywriting FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) ...
Email and ezine terms for writers, leaders, and newbie copywriters ...
Writing devotionals: a step-by-step writing guide ...
Return from How to Find Christian Freelance Writing Jobs to
Powered by SBI! Learn more here.
Nonprofit Copywriter home