Home of Nonprofit Copywriter
Save Time. Write Better.
When I started out as a copywriter, I saw all kinds of busy people struggle
to get writing projects completed.
New writers, busy writers, students, leaders, students, stay-at-home moms, entrepreneurs,
pastors … these folks have great ideas. They’re smart. They’re hardworking.
They just want to write more (or need to), but they don’t have a lot of
extra time. Sound familiar?
“There’s got to be short cuts and writing tips that I can use to help me write more,” I'd hear them say.
Welcome to Word Wise
Welcome to Word Wise. My name is Kathy Widenhouse and I am a freelance Christian writer. I produce content and copywriting for faith-based organizations and nonprofits. (You can read how I got started writing here.)
I wish this site been around when I started writing. I could have saved a whole
lot of time and frustration – and produced more good writing, too.
Word Wise is filled with simple writing tips and shortcuts to simplify the writing process. My goal is to help you shorten your curve as you write blog posts, newsletters, web pages, social media posts,
grant applications, resumes, cover letters, and other projects. Along the way you’ll get
a good dose of encouragement from a friend.
That’s what Word Wise is all about: simple, clear writing
tips to help you make the most of your time and your smarts so you can get more
You already know that words matter. These writing tips help you use
them – and your time – wisely. Get started with the links below or on the left!
Powered by SBI! Learn more here.
- Word Wise Blog: Writing Tips for Busy People
- In Word Wise, I blog about simple, practical writing tips and writing short cuts so busy people can write more content.
- 5 Simple Writing Tips You Can Put to Use in 10 Minutes or Less
- Get these 5 simple writing tips to simplify the writing process. The writing guide is yours for free!
- Word Wise Newsletter: Writing Tips to Simplify Your Writing. Subscribe for Free!
- New writers and busy writers subscribe to Word Wise newsletter and get free writing tips to simplify the writing process – along with the free, 15-page writing guide, 5 Simple Writing Tips
- Newbie Copywriting FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Newbie copywriting FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) for new and emerging copywriters, small business owners, nonprofit leaders, and do-it-yourselfers.
- Basic Copywriting: What Is It and Why Do You Need It?
- Basic copywriting is text that persuades. It is essential to creating a following with prospects, customers, and donors.
- Essential Copywriting Elements for Powerful Nonprofit Copywriting
- Know the essential copywriting elements and how to make them as strong as possible: headlines, hook, body copy, subheads, call to action, response devices, the P.S.
- Newbie Copywriting: 3 Appeal Letter Copywriting Formulas that Pull Gifts
- Three popular copywriting formulas used in appeal letters and how they pull gifts.
- What Makes for Good Christian Writing?
- Good Christian writing is typified by the same elements as any good writing: organized ideas, strong mechanics, audience awareness. Its distinguishing feature is its content -- biblical truth.
- What Is a Devotional?
- A devotional is a unique form of Christian writing. It is a short piece of inspiration, not instruction.
- Top Article Writing Tip: The One Point Rule
- Top article writing tip: focus on one point per article or blog post. I call this the “One Point Rule.”
- Blog Copywriting Basics for Nonprofits and Small Businesses
- Blog copywriting basics: what you need to know when writing a blog for your nonprofit, organization, or small business.
- Getting Started Writing a Book: What Do You Want to Know?
- Getting started writing a book: what do you want to know? Take this survey.
- What Is Free Content and Why Should I Offer It? FAQs
- Free content – articles, white papers, and reports – helps you generate leads, educate your audience, build goodwill, create an archive, and cultivate partners.
- Copywriting Email: The Anatomy of a Strong Email Campaign
- Basic elements to include when copywriting email to increase your chances of getting it open and read.
- Basics for Copywriting Headlines
- Basics for copywriting headlines: frequently asked questions about writing headlines, subject lines, titles, and teasers.
- The Basics about Writing Letters
- No matter where you are on the scale of learning to write better, you will accelerate the process by learning more about writing letters well.
- 10 Commandments of Nonprofit Newsletters
- Follow these 10 principles to produce effective nonprofit newsletters.
- Nonprofit Social Media Tutorial for Newbies
- This social media tutorial for newbies helps your nonprofit get launched into the world of social networking and get started using these tools to promote your cause.
- Basics About Writing Resumes
- Basics about writing resumes: what to do to get started and answers to some of your frequently asked questions.
- Web Writing: How It Is Unique
- The main reason web writing is different from writing for print: it all has to do with giving a web reader information he needs.
- Strategic Planning for Nonprofits: What’s It All About?
- Strategic planning for nonprofits: what is it, why do it, and how making a plan can help your organization.
- Grant Writing for Beginners: Fundamentals to Get Started Finding Grants
- Grant writing for beginners: fundamentals you need to understand to help you get started in the world of writing grants.
- 3 Cost-Saving Nonprofit Fundraising Tips for a Down Economy
- Easy-to-use nonprofit fundraising tips to use when the economy is down to make sure your support keeps going up.
- Top 10 Persuasive Copywriting Techniques
- Persuasive copywriting techniques are methods you use to convince a reader to buy your product or give to your cause.
- How to Use Power Words to Create Strong Nonprofit Copy
- Power words elicit an emotional response in prospects and move them to act. Three lists of words that have impact in both print and online nonprofit copy.
- Easy Copywriting Tricks Anyone Can Master
- Find out a handful of copywriting tricks you can easily learn to make your writing stronger.
- Anecdotes: Capture Your Readers With a Slice of Life
- Anecdotes are a powerful tool in copywriting. How to use stories to show, not tell.
- Why Postcards Need to Be Part of Your Marketing Mix
- Postcards are a simple copywriting tool that’s economical and allows you to get in front of your readers regularly.
- Writing Courses: How to Choose One that’s Right for You
- Writing courses let you learn a new writing skill or a new genre. Know what you want to accomplish and then find out content, venue, and format to make the best choice.
- 2013 Christian Writers Market Guide: Do You Need It?
- The 2013 Christian Writers Market Guide is considerably thinner than past editions, likely a testament to the downturn in print publishing, the guide's primary focus.
- A Wise Word: Wisdom for Copywriters and Nonprofit Leaders
- A wise word: wisdom for copywriters and nonprofit leaders for inspiration, motivation, writing, leading, and strategizing.
- Freebies for Nonprofits: Copywriting Courses, Downloads, Webinars
- The latest freebies for copywriting and running a nonprofit, including courses, webinars, and downloads
- Fun, Bible-based books for girls and families
- Books by Kathy Widenhouse: fun devotionals for girls, book on friendship for girls, fun activities for Christmas, fun Easter activities for families.
- Freelance Christian writer Kathy Widenhouse: development and nonprofit writing
- Freelance Christian writer Kathy Widenhouse specializes in nonprofit writing, development writing, communications for Christian organizations, nonprofits, and churches.