Home of Nonprofit Copywriter
Save Time. Write Better.
When I started out as a copywriter, I saw all kinds of busy people struggle
to get writing projects completed.
New writers, busy writers, students, leaders, students, stay-at-home moms, entrepreneurs,
pastors … these folks have great ideas. They’re smart. They’re hardworking.
They just want to write more (or need to), but they don’t have a lot of
extra time. Sound familiar?
“There’s got to be short cuts and writing tips that I can use to help me write more,” I'd hear them say.
Welcome to Word Wise
Welcome to Word Wise. My name is Kathy Widenhouse and I am a freelance Christian writer. I produce content and copywriting for faith-based organizations and nonprofits. (You can read how I got started writing here.)
I wish this site been around when I started writing. I could have saved a whole
lot of time and frustration – and produced more good writing, too.
Word Wise is filled with simple writing tips and shortcuts to simplify the writing process. My goal is to help you shorten your curve as you write blog posts, newsletters, web pages, social media posts,
grant applications, resumes, cover letters, and other projects. Along the way you’ll get
a good dose of encouragement from a friend.
That’s what Word Wise is all about: simple, clear writing
tips to help you make the most of your time and your smarts so you can get more
You already know that words matter. These writing tips help you use
them – and your time – wisely. Get started with the links below or on the left!
Powered by SBI! Learn more here.
- Word Wise Blog: Content Writing Made Easy
- In Word Wise, I blog about simple, practical writing tips and writing short cuts so busy people can write more content.
- Writing for Ministries Writing Community
- .The Writing for Ministries writing community is a group of writers who want to up their writing game in one area of ministry writing
- Writing Resources for Freelancers, Content Writers, Bloggers
- A list of writing resources for freelance writers, content writers, and bloggers – resources for developing the writing craft, building a website, email marketing, graphics.
- 5 Simple Writing Tips You Can Put to Use in 10 Minutes or Less
- Get these 5 simple writing tips to simplify the writing process. The writing guide is yours for free!
- What Is Freelance Writing? FAQs
- What is freelance writing? What does a freelance writer do? And other frequently asked questions for freelancers and people who want to hire them.
- Newbie Copywriting FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Newbie copywriting FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) for new and emerging copywriters, small business owners, nonprofit leaders, and do-it-yourselfers.
- What Is Content Writing? FAQs
- What is content writing? A simple explanation with Frequently Asked Questions – and the kicker you need to know about the content you write.
- Basic Copywriting: What Is It and Why Do You Need It?
- Basic copywriting is text that persuades. It is essential to creating a following with prospects, customers, and donors.
- Understanding Writing Formulas: Why They Work and When To Use Them
- Writing formulas are a proven way to write strongly. They save time and are project-specific.
- Content Writing: What It Is and Why It’s Essential
- Good content writing drives your communications. Content can have two meanings: the sum of your communications or a specific communications piece.
- Essential Copywriting Elements for Powerful Nonprofit Copywriting
- Know the essential copywriting elements and how to make them as strong as possible: headlines, hook, body copy, subheads, call to action, response devices, the P.S.
- The Writing Process: The Key to Writing Faster and Better
- Understanding the writing process is a key to writing faster and better. Use these 5 steps.
- Self-Editing Made Simple
- Self-editing is an important skill for writers. There are 2 areas you can monitor quite easily: copyediting (mechanics) and the content (subject matter.) Good writing is re-writing.
- Easy Copywriting Tricks Anyone Can Master
- Find out a handful of quick writing tips and copywriting tricks you can easily learn to make your writing stronger.
- What Makes for Good Christian Writing?
- Good Christian writing is typified by the same elements as any good writing: organized ideas, strong mechanics, audience awareness. Its distinguishing feature is its content -- biblical truth.
- What Is a Devotional?
- A devotional is a unique form of Christian writing. It is a short piece of inspiration, not instruction.
- Wise Words: Devotionals for Writers
- Wise Words are devotionals for writers - short pieces of biblical inspiration. The idea is to connect truths from scripture with truths about writing.
- Writing Articles: FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- If you’re venturing into writing articles to produce content or to get started as a writer, here are some frequently asked questions and answers.
- Blog Copywriting Basics for Nonprofits and Small Businesses
- Blog copywriting basics: what you need to know when writing a blog for your nonprofit, organization, or small business.
- Getting Started Writing a Book: What Do You Want to Know?
- Getting started writing a book: this super-useful, no-cost guide breaks the process down into steps.
- Writing eBooks: Frequently Asked Questions
- There are many advantages to writing eBooks. Here are some frequently asked questions to help you know whether or not to pursue this format and how to go about it.
- Copywriting Email: The Anatomy of a Strong Email Campaign
- Basic elements to include when copywriting email to increase your chances of getting it open and read.
- Basics for Copywriting Headlines
- Basics for copywriting headlines: frequently asked questions about writing headlines, subject lines, titles, and teasers.
- The Basics about Writing Letters
- No matter where you are on the scale of learning to write better, you will accelerate the process by learning more about writing letters well.
- 10 Commandments of Nonprofit Newsletters
- Follow these 10 principles to produce effective nonprofit newsletters.
- Online Writing: What Makes It Unique
- Online writing is any text you read on a digital device. It is unique in at least 3 ways. Check out these 3 tips for writing online.
- 6 Quick Tips for Writing Social Media Posts That Get Read
- Use these 6 quick tips for writing social media posts that readers want to read. Use these tips on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest.
- Harness the Power of a Testimonial
- A testimonial is a quote from a client, volunteer, donor, or community partner that explains how he benefitted from your work and your cause.
- 4 Writing Tips for Starting a Blog or Website
- Use these writing tips for starting a blog or website for less money (or nearly no money), just a bit of time, and a whole lot of less frustration.
- How to Create an Effective Business Plan for Nonprofit Organizations
- An effective business plan for nonprofit organizations contains three major components: an executive summary, a needs statement, and a business strategy.
- Strategic Planning for Nonprofits: What’s It All About?
- Strategic planning for nonprofits: what is it, why do it, and how making a plan can help your organization.
- Grant Writing for Beginners: Fundamentals to Get Started Finding Grants
- Grant writing for beginners: fundamentals you need to understand to help you get started in the world of writing grants.
- 3 Cost-Saving Nonprofit Fundraising Tips for a Down Economy
- Easy-to-use nonprofit fundraising tips to use when the economy is down to make sure your support keeps going up.
- Anecdotes: Capture Your Readers With a Slice of Life
- Anecdotes are a powerful tool in copywriting. How to use stories to show, not tell.
- Why Postcards Need to Be Part of Your Marketing Mix
- Postcards are a simple copywriting tool that’s economical and allows you to get in front of your readers regularly.
- Basics About Writing Resumes
- Basics about writing resumes: what to do to get started and answers to some of your frequently asked questions.
- Recipe Writing Tips
- Use these recipe writing tips as you write and share recipes on your blog, as a submission to a website, or with family and friends.
- The Christian Writers Market Guide: Do You Need It?
- The Christian Writers Market Guide is updated and published annually. It offers a terrific resource for beginning and veteran Christian writers of places to get published and how.
- Top 10 Persuasive Copywriting Techniques
- Persuasive copywriting techniques are methods you use to convince a reader to buy your product or give to your cause.
- How to Use Power Words to Create Strong Nonprofit Copy
- Power words elicit an emotional response in prospects and move them to act. Three lists of words that have impact in both print and online nonprofit copy.
- Writing Courses: How to Choose One that’s Right for You
- Writing courses let you learn a new writing skill or a new genre. Know what you want to accomplish and then find out content, venue, and format to make the best choice.
- A Wise Word: Wisdom for Copywriters and Nonprofit Leaders
- A wise word: wisdom for copywriters and nonprofit leaders for inspiration, motivation, writing, leading, and strategizing.
- Freebies for Nonprofits: Copywriting Courses, Downloads, Webinars
- The latest freebies for copywriting and running a nonprofit, including courses, webinars, and downloads
- Fun, Bible-based books for girls and families
- Books by Kathy Widenhouse: fun devotionals for girls, book on friendship for girls, fun activities for Christmas, fun Easter activities for families.
- Freelance Christian writer: Content Writing Made Simple
- Freelance Christian writer Kathy Widenhouse helps make content writing simple for nonprofits, ministries, freelancers, content writers.